Product returns are a part of business, especially in the e-commerce landscape. Because your customers cannot physically touch, feel and try out your products they have to jump feet first by making a purchase. This means there are bound to be a few returns in your future. The question is how can you handle them effectively and provide your customers with a positive outcome?
The Benefits of Returns
First, change the way you look at returns. Online retail giant, Zappos, claims that their best customers also have the highest return rate. Of course Zappos makes the return process easy and hassle-free so as to ensure that customers come back even after a returned item.
During the return process, you can show your customers how much you care about them by remaining friendly and doing whatever it takes to make the process go smoothly. The right attitude can go a long way in turning an annoying return into a repeat sale.
Tips for Proper Return Management
Ultimately, it is up to you to lower return rates while making those few that slip through the cracks as pain-free as possible for your customers. Here are a few ways you can do this.
- State your return policy loud and clear on your product pages.
- Extend free returns on all items (excluding sales items)
- Provide pre-paid return envelopes and packaging with each purchase.
- Resist the urge to be right—never argue with your customers.
- Get plenty of feedback on items—reviews can go a long way in preventing returns in the future.
- Communicate effectively and quickly when a customer has a complaint.
- Play it smart and resell returned items whenever possible.
The online retail business can be overwhelming, but if you do your best to make your return policy clear while maintaining a positive attitude towards your customers, everyone can come out a winner. Working with a trusted freight provider (such as Freight People) can help advise you and navigate you on the best way to manage returns from a logistics perspective.